Re: Libvirt, quemu, ceph write cache settings

On 07/18/2013 11:32 AM, Maciej Gałkiewicz wrote:
On 18 Jul 2013 20:25, "Josh Durgin" <josh.durgin@xxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:josh.durgin@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
 > Setting rbd_cache=true in ceph.conf will make librbd turn on the cache
 > regardless of qemu. Setting qemu to cache=none tells qemu that it
 > doesn't need to send flush requests to the underlying storage, so it
 > does not do so. This means librbd is caching data, but qemu isn't
 > telling it to persist that data when the guest requests it. This is
 > the same as qemu's cache=unsafe mode, which makes it easy to get a
 > corrupt fs if the guest isn't shut down cleanly.
 >
 > There's a ceph option to make this safer -
 > rbd_cache_writethrough_until_flush. If this and rbd_cache are true,
 > librbd will operate with the cache in writethrough mode until it is
 > sure that the guest using it is capable of sending flushes (i.e. qemu
 > has cache=writeback). Perhaps we should enable this by default so
 > people are less likely to accidentally use an unsafe configuration.

Ok. Now it make sense. So the last question is how to make sure that
qemu actually operates with cache=writeback with rbd?

If the setting is in the qemu command line, it'll send flushes,
and you can verify that librbd is seeing them by doing a 'perf dump'
on the admin socket and looking at the aio_flush count there.

This makes me notice that the synchronous flush perf counter went
missing, so it'll always read 0 [1].

Josh

[1] http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/5668