Re: Change of Monitors IP Adresses

On 07/11/2013 09:03 AM, Joachim.Tork@xxxxxx wrote:
Hi folks,

I face the difficulty that I have to change ip adresses in the
public network for the monitors.

What needs to be done beside the change of the ceph.conf?

ceph.conf is only used by other daemons (that aren't the monitors) and clients. The monitors however use the monmap (monitor map) to assess where all the monitors are and who they are -- this map is kept by the monitors themselves.

In other words, solely changing ceph.conf and firing up the monitors with their new ips will result in the monitors committing suicide, as they will not find themselves (given their new ips) in the monmap.

I would advise you to read through the ceph docs' "Adding/Removing monitors", section "Changing a Monitor's IP Address" [1].

Although the appropriate way to do this would be to keep the current monitors in place, adding new monitors with new ips (one at a time) and letting the cluster become healthy, this assumes two things: 1) your new monitor's location are able to communicate with the current monitor's location, and the latencies are small enough for it to work; and 2) you have spare hardware in which you can keep the new monitors as you're adding them.

If one of these conditions are not satisfiable, you may want to do it the dirty way: generate a new monmap with the new monitor locations, shutdown your monitors, move them over to their new location, inject the new monmap, and restart the monitors. This is also described in [1].

Hope this helps, and let us know if you run into problems.

  -Joao

[1] - http://ceph.com/docs/master/rados/operations/add-or-rm-mons/

Best regards

Joachim Tork