Re: Cuttlefish VS Bobtail performance series

On 10/07/2013 18:01, Mark Nelson wrote:
Hello again!

Part 2 is now out! We've got a whole slew of results for 4K FIO tests on RBD:

http://ceph.com/performance-2/ceph-cuttlefish-vs-bobtail-part-2-4k-rbd-performance/

Hey mark,

I'm really fond of this kind of plotting performance results. You may saw my work on this topic that is about to be upstreamed in fio : http://www.spinics.net/lists/fio/msg02140.html (one tool to automatize the fio jobs, one for graphing). You may find some interest in.

My only comment about thoses graphs will be maintaining comparable ranges across same benchmark types.

For example, on this picture, http://ceph.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/cuttlefish-rbd_btrfs-write-0004K.png, we do have 6 runs with the same IO profile but each result is plotted in its own context. Meaning the Zaxis range and its associated colorbar (CB) is changing all the time. That makes very difficult to compare runs as the color doesn't have the same meaning everywhere.

I'm usually enforcing both zrange & cbrange (looks like you use gnuplot) to be constant over graphs.
Syntax is : (to be adjusted in values)
set cbrange [0:120000]
set zrange [0:120000]

Pros:
- the same color have the same raw value everywhere
- a quick look at a graph series gives immediate an understanding of the overall performances (which one is good, which one is bad)
- speed up graph reading

Cons:
- it could visually flatten some low values
- needs to estimate the range before plotting

My 2 cents,
Erwan