Re: Hadoop/Ceph and DFS IO tests

hi noah,

Some results for the read tests:

I set client_readahead_min=4193404 which is the default for hadoop dfs.datanode.readahead.bytes also.  I ran the dfsio test 6 times each for HDFS, Ceph with default read ahead & ceph with readahead=4193404.  Setting read ahead in ceph did give about a 10% overall improvement over the default values. The hdfs average is only slightly better .... but then there was a lot more run to run variation for hdfs - perhaps some caching going there.

Seems like a good read ahead value that the ceph hadoop client can use as a default   !

I'll look at the DFS write tests later today .... any tuning suggestions you can think of there. I was thinking of trying out increasing the journal size and separating out the journaling to a separate  disk.  Anything else ?

For hdfs dfsio read test:

Average execution time: 258
Best execution time: 149
Worst exec time: 361

For ceph with default read ahead setting:

Average execution time: 316
Best execution time: 296
Worst execution time: 358

For ceph with read ahead setting = 4193404

Average execution time: 285
Best execution time: 277
Worst execution time: 294

I didn't set max bytes ... I guess the default is zero which means no max ?
I tried increasing the readahead max periods to 8 .. didn't look like a good change.

thanks !