Re: PG Splitting

On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 1:37 PM, Travis Rhoden <trhoden@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> Is PG splitting considered stable now?  I feel like I used to see it
> discussed all the time (and how it wasn't quite there), but haven't
> heard anything about it in a while.  I remember seeing related bits in
> release notes and such, but never an announcement that "you can now
> increase the number of PGs in a pool".
>
> I was thinking about this because I just deployed (successfully) a
> small test cluster using ceph-deploy (first time I've gotten it to
> work -- pretty smooth this time).  Since ceph-deploy has no idea how
> many OSDs in total you are about to active/create, I suppose it has no
> idea how to take a good guess at the number of PGs to set for the
> "data" pool and kin.  So instead I just got 64 PGs per pool, which is
> too low.
>
> Can I just increase it with "ceph osd set..." now?

Well, I think Sam's still nervous but we've been running nightly
stress tests on it for quite a while and he's been working on fixing
bugs that turn up when you "undelete" (due to weird migration
patterns) a PG after splitting it (ie, way down the line from issues
with splitting), so yes — we declared it ready-to-go and removed the
"yes-i-really-mean-it" flag a while ago. There's still no merging of
course, but you can increase the values with "ceph osd set".

> If not, would the best approach be to override the default in
> ceph.conf in between "ceph-deploy new" and "ceph-deploy mon create" ?
That would also work.
-Greg