Re: Drive replacement procedure

If you remove the OSD after it fails from the cluster and the crushmap, the cluster will automatically re-assign that number to the new OSD when you run ceph osd create with no arguments.

Here's my procedure for manually adding OSDs. This part of the documentation I wrote for myself, or in the event of a bus error. If anyone wants to call Shenanigans on my procedure, I'm always open to constructive criticism.

Create an xfs filesystem on the whole disk. We don't need a partition because we're not creating multiple partitions on the OSDs.
mkfs.xfs options: -f -i size=2048 -d su-64k for RAID0 tests
Ex. mkfs.xfs -f -i size=2048 -d su=64k,sw=1 /dev/sdc

Mount points use this convention /srv/ceph/osd[id], I.E. /srv/ceph/osd1
Ex. cd /srv/ceph; mkdir osd1;

Create a disk label, so you don't mount the wrong disk, and possbily use it with the wrong OSD daemon.
Ex. xfs_admin -L osd1 /dev/sdb
This assigns the label osd1 to /dev/sdb.

Next we add the mount to /etc/fstab
LABEL=osd1 /srv/ceph/osd1  xfs     inode64,noatime        0       0

Create the osd:
ceph osd create [optional id]
Will return next available number if nothing is specified, otherwise it will use the id specified. In almost all cases, it's best to let the cluster assign the id.

Add the osd to the /etc/ceph/ceph.conf files. Use the by label convention to avoid mounting the wrong hard drive!
Ex.
[osd.1]
        host = ha1
        devs = /dev/disk/by-label/osd1

Intialize the OSD's directory:
ceph-osd -i {osd-num} --mkfs --mkkey

Register the OSD authentication key:
ceph auth add osd.1 osd 'allow *' mon 'allow rwx' -i /var/lib/ceph/osd/ceph--{osd-num}/keyring

Add the OSD to the CRUSH map so it can receive data:
ceph osd crush set osd.1 1.0 root=default host=ha1

Check to make sure it's added.
ceph osd tree

Start up the new osd, and let it sync with the cluster.
service ceph start osd.1

Dave Spano
Optogenics