Re: Desktop or Enterprise SATA Drives?

> Hi all
>
> I'm building a small ceph cluster with 3 nodes (my first ceph cluster).
> Each Node with one System Disk, one Journal SSD Disk and one SATA OSD
> Disk.
>
> My question is now should I use Desktop or Enterprise SATA Drives?
> Enterprise Drives have a higher MTBF but the Firmware is actually build for
> RAID Controllers
> which have different timing. WD calls that TELR, Seagate Error Recovery
> Control (ERC).
> In case of an error, they make shure the RAID Controller doesn't throw them
> out of the array after short time.

Do you mean that the RAID controller _does_ through them out after a very short time?

> Desktop Drives can try seconds to minutes until they give up.
> Can Rados/Ceph handle such long time without get answer from the Drive?
> Will the Node then marked bad/out from the cluster?

Your users might not like the delays. For a single disk it makes sense to retry for a while to try and give the user their data. For RAID it makes no sense. Fail immediately and eject the disk and don't make delays.

I wonder if those settings can be tweaked at all?

James