MON quorum a single point of failure?

Howdy!

Loving working with ceph; learning a lot. :)

I am curious about the quorum process because I seem to get conflicting information from "experts". Those that I report to need a clear answer from me which I am currently unable to give.

Ceph needs an odd number of monitors in any given cluster (3, 5, 7) to avoid split-brain syndrome. So what happens whenever I have 3 monitors, 1 dies, and I have 2 left?

The information regarding this situation that I have gathered over the past few months all falls within these three categories:
A) commonly "stated"--nothing is said. period.
B) rarely stated--this is a bad situation (possibly split-brain).
C) rarely stated--each monitor has a "rank", so the highest ranking monitor is the boss, thus quorum.

Does anyone know with absolute certainty what ceph's quorum logic will do with an even number of (specifically 2) monitors left?

You may say, "well, take down one of your monitors", to which I respectfully state that my testing is not an authoritative answer on what ceph is designed to do and what it does in production. My testing cannot cover the vast majority of cases covered by the hundreds/thousands who have had a monitor die.

Thank you for your time and brain juice,
-bo

--

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from the wrath of God through Him." Romans 5:8-9
All have sinned, broken God's law, and deserve eternal torment. Jesus Christ, the Son of God, died for the sins of those that will believe, purchasing our salvation, and defeated death so that we all may spend eternity in heaven. Do you desire freedom from hell and be with God in His love for eternity?