Re: Ceph and open source cloud software: Path of least resistance

Hi Stratos,

you might want to take a look at Synnefo. [1]

I did take a look at it earlier, but decided not to test it.

Mainly I was deterred because I found the documentation a bit lacking. I opened up the section on File Storage and found that there were only chapter titles, but no actual content. Perhaps I was too quick to dismiss it.

A bit more practical problem for me was that my test equipment consists of a single server (besides the Ceph cluster). As far as I understood the docs, there was a bug that makes it impossible to run Synnefo on a single server (to be fixed in the next version)?

Regarding my goals, I read through the installation guide and it recommends setting up an NFS server on one of the servers to serve images to the rest. This is what I wanted to avoid. Is that optional and/or could be replaced with Ceph?

At the moment Ganeti only supports the in-kernel RBD driver, although
support for the qemu-rbd driver should be implemented soon. Using the

Hmm, I wanted to avoid using the in-kernel RBD driver, as I figured it lead to various problems. Is it not a problem in practice?

I was thinking it would be wisest to stay with the distribution kernel, but I guess you swap it out for a later version?

The rbds for all my existing VMs would probably have to be converted back from format 2 to format 1, right?

--
Jens Kristian Søgaard, Mermaid Consulting ApS,
jens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,