Re: cephfs file system snapshots?

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 3:10 PM, K Richard Pixley <rich@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi.  I've been following ceph from a distance for several years now.  Kudos
> on the documentation improvements and quick start stuff since the last time
> I looked.
>
> However, I'm a little confused about something.
>
> I've been making heavy use of btrfs file system snapshots for several years
> now and couldn't live without them at this point.  I was looking forward to
> a distributed system that would support them as well but I don't see
> anything in the documentation currently about them.
>
> I see the stuff about rbd snapshots, including the ability to create COW
> clones, which is interesting, (especially given the possibility of placing a
> btrfs file system on top of rbd), but it's not really the system of my
> dreams.
>
> What's the current status/story about file system snapshots for cephfs?

Filesystem snapshots exist and you can experiment with them on CephFS
(there's a hidden ".snaps" folder; you can create or remove snapshots
by creating directories in that folder; navigate up and down it, etc).
However, CephFS isn't completely documented as we don't officially
recommend it for production yet, and snapshots further reduce the
stability of the filesystem. Our first officially supported release of
CephFS will probably not include snapshots under that banner. :(
-Greg