From: Jon [mailto:three18ti@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, May 29, 2013 11:47 AM
To: McNamara, Bradley
Cc: ceph-users
Subject: Might Be Spam -RE: [ceph-users] Mounting a shared block device on multiple hosts

Hello Bradley,

Please excuse my ignorance, I am new to CEPH and what I thought was a good understanding of file systems has clearly been shown to be inadequate.

Maybe I'm asking the question wrong because I keep getting the same answer.

I guess I don't understand what a clustered filesystem is.  I thought CEPH was a clustered file system, and the Wikipedia article on clustered file systems doesn't offer any disambiguation as CEPH is listed as a clustered filesystem, albeit under the distributed heading.  There is a shared disk / storage area network section, but, with the exception of GFS, these look like SAN technologies, not just file systems.

I guess my question boils down to: "what format should I format my rbd so that I can read and write to it from multiple diverse hosts"?

Can I format my rbd as gfs2 and call it a day? Or do I need to use a technology like glusterFS, or mount the rbd on one host and export it as an NFS Mount? (Would really like to avoid NFS if at all possible, but if that's the solution, then that's the solution).

Thanks for your patience with me. I really feel like an idiot asking, but I really have no where else to turn.

Thanks,
Jon A