Re: Hardware Sizing

Hi,

http://www.supermicro.com.tw/products/system/2U/6027/SSG-6027R-E1R12T.cfm is being recommend as a start of storage server.

From my experience, don't start with their storage server. Instead look at "ordinary" models.

Instead of having 1 server with 12 disk bays it is often better to have 3 servers with 4 disk bays.

Also as you want high performance consider adding SSDs to the servers for Ceph journals.

As my target is to start with 12 TB solution (production environment, high performance) having three copies of my data. I am confused, that

When you say 12 TB do you mean you have 12 TB of data you want in 3 copies?

Or do you have 4 TB of data that takes up 12 TB in 3 copies?

1. How many servers will be required i.e OSD, MON, MDS (above mentioned chassis).

I guess you can run with only 1 physical server, but ofcourse in case of server failure you'll have no system. To optimize performance and stability, it would be better to spread it out over multiple servers.

2. Should I separate role to each server? or single server will be good enough?

A single server can have several roles, yes.

3.     How many raid-cards in each server will be required?

The recommendation seems to be to have no RAID-cards at all. Just setup one OSD per physical drive.

--
Jens Kristian Søgaard, Mermaid Consulting ApS,
jens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,