Enabling debug for ceph / ceph-deploy when preparing OSDs

Hi folks,

We're setting up a ceph testing environment and having an issue where ceph-deploy hangs on preparing drives. This is the output from ceph-deploy -v osd prepare ceph_host:xvde1:/dev/xvdb2:

Preparing cluster ceph disks ceph_host:/dev/xvde1:/dev/xvdb2
Deploying osd to ceph_host
Host ceph_host is now ready for osd use.
Preparing host ceph_host disk /dev/xvde1 journal /dev/xvdb2 activate False

We're trying to figure out why this is but the logs are no help - the above is all that appears and it stays like that for hours. There is no disk activity, CPU activity, related RAM usage happening on the either the OSD or admin node, it's as if the command is waiting for something.

How do we enable further debugging? We downloaded and installed the ceph-debug rpm packages (we're using CentOS 6) but that does not seem to have done anything unless there is something else we need to turn on to get debugging output.

How do we enable more verbose information with ceph-deploy or the binaries it runs?

Regards
JP