Re: librbd++: How to access more detailed error messages?

Am Mittwoch, 15. Mai 2013, 07:58:57 schrieb Gregory Farnum:
> On Wednesday, May 15, 2013, Guido Winkelmann wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > When using librbd, one usually just gets a simple error code from RBD
> > methods
> > if something goes wrong, and those sometime have me guessing exactly what
> > they
> > could mean in a specific situation.
> >
> > While perusing librbd/internal.cc, I noticed that many of the methods in
> > the
> > background will produce more detailed error messages, like this line from
> > snap_protect():
> >
> > lderr(ictx->cct) << "snap_protect: image must support layering"
> >
> >        << dendl;
> >
> > How do I access those more detailed error messages?
> >
> >         Guido
>
> You've discovered our debug logging generators! Those line outputting to
> lderr are directed to both stderr and our own debug logs; those directed to
> ldout are directed to just our debug logs. You can configure librbd so it
> will output this on startup via any of the config interfaces. There's not a
> good way to parse it via code, though -- it's meant for humans to consume.
> -Greg

Human consumption was what I was going for as well.
I was hoping to be enable my program, which uses librbd, to show or log error
messages along the lines of

"While doing x, could not do RBD operation so_and_so, librbd said:
this_and_that",

so that the admin (or me, when debugging) would have a better chance at
locating and fixing the source of an error, should one occur.

	Guido