Re: RBD snapshot - time and consistent

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 09:39:09AM -0700, Gregory Farnum wrote:
> On Sat, May 11, 2013 at 1:34 AM, Timofey Koolin <timofey@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Is snapshot time depend from image size?
>
> It shouldn't be.
>
> > Do snapshot create consistent state of image for moment at start snapshot?
> >
> > For example if I have file system on don't stop IO before start snapshot -
> > Is it worse than turn of power during IO?
>
> It is exactly the same as turning off power during IO.
> -Greg

Timofey, I assume you are asking about this for VMs ?

If you want a really good copy, which prevents potential problems with databases and so on.

You will need to ask the OS running in the VM to quiesce it's filesystems, before you snapshot.

You'll probably want to use an agent running on the OS so the hypervisor can tell the OS to do this.

Have a good day,
	Leen.