rbd image clone flattening @ client or cluster level?

While planning the usage of fast clone from openstack glance image store to cinder volume, I am a little concerned about possible IO performance impact to the cinder volume service node if I have to perform flattening of the multiple image down the road.

Am I right to assume the copying of the blocks incurred by the flattening task is done on the backend nodes of the cluster and there is no extra IO activities on the client side where the librbd operation is issued?

Thanks. --weiguo