Re: Hardware recommendation / calculation for large cluster

Hi,

On Sunday 12 May 2013 18:05:16 Leen Besselink wrote:

> I did see you mentioned you wanted to have, many disks in the same machine.
>
> Not just machines with let's say 12 disks for example.
>
> Did you know you need the CPU-power of a 1Ghz Xeon core per OSD for the
> times when recovery is happening ?
Nope, did not know it.

The current intent is to install 2x 2.4 Ghz xeon CPU, handeling 8 threads
each. So, 2*8*2.4=38.4 for max OSD's. It should be fine.

If I would go for the 72 disk option, I have to consider doubling that power.
The current max I can select from the dealer I am looking at, for the socket
housed in the supermicro 72x 3.5" version are 2x a Xeon x5680. Utilizing 12
threads each, at 3.33Ghz. So, 2*12*3.33=79.79 for max OSD's. Also this should
be fine.

What will happen if the CPU is maxed out anyway? Slowing things or crashing
things? In my opinion it is not a bad thing if a system is maxed out in such a
massive migration, which should not occur on a daily base. Sure, a disk that
fails every two weeks, no prob. What are we talking about? 0.3% of the
complete storage cluster. Even 0.15% if I would take the 72x3.5" servers.

If a complete server stops working, that is something else. But as I said in a
different split of this thread: if that happens I have got different things to
worry about, than a slow migration of data. As long as there is no data lost,
I don't really care it takes a bit longer.

Thanks for the advise.

Tim