Re: EPEL packages for QEMU-KVM with rbd support?

Hi Barry,

On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 7:06 PM, Barry O'Rourke <Barry.O'Rourke@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I built a modified version of the fc17 package that I picked up from
> koji [1]. That might not be ideal for you as fc17 uses systemd rather
> than init, we use an in-house configuration management system which
> handles service start-up so it's not an issue for us.
>
> I'd be interested to hear how others install qemu on el6 derivatives,
> especially those of you running newer versions.

Are you by chance trying to use qemu with OpenStack, RDO OpenStack in
particular?

We've done a naive backport of rbd.c from qemu 1.5 to latest qemu-kvm
0.12.1.2+ in el6 (patch available upon request, but I wouldn't trust
it in production since we may have made a mistake). We then recompiled
libvirt from el6 to force the enabling of rbd support:

[root@xxx rpmbuild]# diff SPECS/libvirt.spec.orig SPECS/libvirt.spec
1671c1671
<            %{?_without_storage_rbd} \
---
>            --with-storage-rbd \

(without this patch, libvirt only to enables rbd for Fedora releases, not RHEL).

We're at the point where qemu-kvm alone works with rbd, but RDO
OpenStack Cinder and Glance are still failing to attach rbd volumes or
boot from volumes for some unknown reason. We'd be very interested if
someone else is trying/succeeding to achieve the same setup, RDO
OpenStack + RBD.
Cheers,
Dan van der Ster
CERN IT