Re: ceph osd tell bench

Le 03/05/2013 16:34, Travis Rhoden a écrit :
I have a question about "tell bench" command.

When I run this, is it behaving more or less like a dd on the drive? It appears to be, but I wanted to confirm whether or not it is bypassing all the normal Ceph stack that would be writing metadata, calculating checksums, etc.

One bit of behavior I noticed a while back that I was not expecting is that this command does write to the journal. It made sense when I thought about it, but when I have an SSD journal in front of an OSD, I can't get the "tell bench" command to really show me accurate numbers of the raw speed of the OSD -- instead I get write speeds of the SSD. Just a small caveat there.

The upside to that is when do you something like "tell \* bench", you are able to see if that SSD becomes a bottleneck by hosting multiple journals, so I'm not really complaining. But it does make a bit tough to see if perhaps one OSD is performing much differently than others.

But really, I'm mainly curious if it skips any normal metadata/checksum overhead that may be there otherwise.

Travis,

I'm no expert but, to me, the bench doesn't bypass the ceph stack.
On a test setup, I set up the journal on the same drive as the data drive, when I "tell bench" I can see ~160MB/s throughoutput on the SSD block device and the benchmark result is ~80MB/s which leads me to think the data is written twice : once to the journal and once to the "permanent" storage. I see almost no read on the block device but the written data probably is in the page cache.

Cheers,