Re: interesting crush rules

On 05/01/2013 04:51 PM, Gregory Farnum wrote:
> On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 2:44 PM, Sage Weil <sage@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I added a blueprint for extending the crush rule language.  If there are
>> interesting or strange placement policies you'd like to do and aren't able
>> to currently express using CRUSH, please help us out by enumerating them
>> on that blueprint.
>
> http://wiki.ceph.com/01Planning/02Blueprints/Dumpling/extend_crush_rule_language,
> if you don't have the blueprint site handy already. :)

My issue was placement of the files/directories (w/ cephfs): I wanted a
complete file (or directory & all the files in it) on osd.x.

The rules I'm interested in would be like

- pick one osd from rack 1, pick 2 osds from rack 2, put complete copy
of everything on each (HA scenario w/ 2 copies in the on-site "rack 2"
and a copy in the off-site "rack 1").

- pick all osds from group "compute nodes" and place complete copy of
everything on each (data placement on compute grids).

(Obviously, there's also the bit about getting the clients to read from
the right osd.)

--
Dimitri Maziuk
Programmer/sysadmin