Re: Backporting the kernel client

> I'm probably not the only one who would like to run a
> distribution-provided kernel (which for Debian Wheezy/Ubuntu Precise is
> 3.2) and still have a recent-enough Ceph kernel client. So I'm wondering
> whether it's feasible to backport the kernel client to an earlier kernel.

You can grab the 3.8 kernel from debian experimental http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=linux-image-3.8

I'm using it on a bunch of machines and I know of a few others using it too.

> The plan is as follows:
>
> 1) Grab the Ceph files from https://github.com/ceph/ceph-client (and put
> them over the older kernel sources). If I got it right the files are:
> include/keys/ceph-type.h include/linux/ceph/* fs/ceph/* net/ceph/*
> drivers/block/rbd.c drivers/block/rbd_types.h
>
> 2) Make (trivial) adjustments to the source code to account for changed
> kernel interfaces.
>
> 3) Compile as modules and install the new Ceph modules under
> /lib/modules.
>
> 4) Reboot to a standard distribution kernel with up-to-date Ceph client.

I would think you should be able to build a dkms package pretty easily, and it would be a lot faster to build than building an entire kernel, and much easier to maintain. Of course that depends on the degree of integration with the kernel...

James