Re: Best solution for shared FS on Ceph for webclusters

On 04/24/2013 05:18 AM, Maik Kulbe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently looking into several options on how to use ceph in a
small
> to mid size web cluster.
>
> I've ruled out CephFS as it is sadly not stable enaugh.
>
> Then I went with RBD and different approaches. OCFS2 on RBD did the
job
> well but had extrem performance issues when two processes where
> accessing files in the same folder(especially when doing writes).

Any idea if this was more due to OCFS2 or more due to Ceph?  I confess I
don't know much about how OCFS2 works.  Is it doing some kind of latency
sensitive operation when two files are being written per directory?

I can't say for sure but it seemed that the locking mechanisms of OCFS2
locked the whole folder. I tested concurrent writes in one folder and in
several folders and using multiple folders I could reach about 3K Ops
per second, with a single folder those rates dropped to under 2 (single!)
Ops per second, which is kind of strange but I wouldn't think that an rbd
volume could be responsible for that..

> At the moment I'm trying a solution that uses RBD with a normal FS
like
> EXT4 or ZFS and where two server export that block device via
NFS(with