Re: No rolling updates from v0.56 to v0.60+?

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 7:40 AM, Guido Winkelmann
<guido@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just tried upgrading parts of our experimental ceph cluster from 0.56.1 to
> 0.60, and it looks like the new mon-daemon from 0.60 cannot talk to those from
> 0.56.1 at all.
>
> Long story short, we had to move some hardware around and during that time I
> had to shrink the cluster to one single machine. My plan was to expand it to
> three machines again, so that I would again have 3 mons and 3 osds, as before.
> I just installed the first new machine, going straight for 0.60, but leaving
> the remaining old one at 0.56.1. I added the new mon to the mon map according
> to the documentation and started the new mon daemon, but the mon-cluster
> wouldn't achieve quorum. In the logs for the new mon, I saw the following line
> repeated a lot:
>
> 0 -- 10.6.224.129:6789/0 >> 10.6.224.131:6789/0 pipe(0x2da5ec0 sd=20 :37863
> s=1 pgs=0 cs=0 l=0).connect protocol version mismatch, my 10 != 9
>
> The old mon had no such lines in its log.
>
> I could only solve this by shutting down the old mon and upgrading it to 0.60
> as well.
>
> It looks to me like this means rolling upgrades without downtime won't be
> possible from bobtail to cuttlefish. Is that correct?

If the cluster is in good shape, this shouldn't actually result in
downtime. Do a rolling upgrade of your monitors, and then when a
majority of them are on Cuttlefish they'll switch over to form the
quorum — the "downtime" being the period a store requires to update,
which shouldn't be long, and it will only be the monitors that are
inaccessible (unless it takes a truly ridiculous time for the
upgrade). All the rest of the daemons you can do rolling upgrades on
just the same as before.
-Greg