Improving cephfs file listing speed

Hi,
   My setup uses ceph bobtail with 3 Metadata, 3 Montors, 6 Storage Nodes. The file types stored  are image files of 5MB each, total amount of files expected is 5.5 million. As the application is not yet ported to using librados currently using cephfs. The ceph kernel module had issues mounting and would not start on reboot. The ceph-fuse has been working reliably. File saving and retrieving from the app works fine. Listing files  is slow due to the number of files. Is there anything i can do to improve the file listing performance. When porting to librados can i utilize the files currently stored or would I need to backup and restore.
   Any inputs are much appreciated.

Kind Regards
Rabi