Re: SL4500 as a storage machine

Hi.

I mean the sl4500 can have 2 nodes with 50 drives instead of 1 node with 60 drives.  See this:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/14406_div/14406_div.HTML

That lets you use cheaper CPUs and also gives you better performance, but is slightly less dense and probably more expensive than the 1x60 model.  The more important thing though is that when a node fails you only lose 25 drives instead of 60 so recovery will be smoother.

Aha, but supermicro has a new king:

http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/4u/6047/ssg-6047r-e1r72l.cfm

72 3.5" drives in 4U along with a motherboard and triple redundant power supplies!  Crazy!  I have no idea how well ceph would run on such a beast, but you'd probably need the fastest CPUs you could get your hands on and a lot of RAM.

Back to this topic, what would your general advice be regarding the below:

1) If data availability and redundancy is most important, you would go with multiple 2U boxes to minimize cluster impacts in case of any downtime?

2) Barring service and SLA, is it really worth taking HP over SuperMicro, or it's simply overpaying for a brand?

Thanks,
Stas.