Re: Ceph admin network

On 03/26/2013 08:30 AM, Alexis GÜNST HORN wrote:
Hello to all,

Here is  my config :

I have Ceph Cluster with 3 NICs on each node :
* admin network : 192.168.0.0/24
* public network : 10.0.0.1/24
* cluster network : 10.0.0.2/24

So, the "admin" network is used to connect to nodes via SSH.
The "public" network is the Ceph Storage network
And, The "cluster" network is used by Ceph for replication.

In addition, I have an other node : ceph-admin
which I want to use only to manage the cluster, without connecting
directly to OSDs or monitors.

ceph-admin has only one NIC, connected to the "admin" network.
So I can connect via SSH to all the cluster from ceph-admin.
I did the first mkcephfs from ceph-admin
I do my /etc/init.d/ceph -a start/stop from ceph-admin
BUT, i can't do any "real ceph" commands, like ceph -w.

My question : is there an intelligent way to do that without adding
the storage network on the admin node ?

No, you will have to add the public network to the "admin node" to make the 'ceph' command work.

What you could do (not tested) is alias the 'ceph' command like:

alias ceph='ssh root@10.0.0.3 ceph'

But you have to be able to interact with the monitors directly to execute these commands.

Wido

PS : for my tests, I do not use cephx.

Thanks for your answers !

Wido den Hollander