SSD Capacity and Partitions for OSD Journals

Hi,

I have a couple of HW provisioning questions in regards to SSD for OSD Journals.

I’d like to provision 12 OSDs per a node and there are enough CPU clocks and Memory.

Each OSD is allocated one 3TB HDD for OSD data – these 12 * 3TB HDDs are in non-RAID.

For increasing access and (sequential) write performance, I’d like to put 2 SSDs for OSD journals – these two SSDs are not mirrored.

By the rule of thumb, I’d like to mount the OSD journals (the path below) to the “SSD partitions” accordingly.

/var/lib/ceph/osd/$cluster-$id/journal

Question 1.

Which way is recommended between:

(1) Partitions for OS/Boot and 6 OSD journals on #1 SSD, and partitions for the rest 6 OSD journals on #2 SSD;

(2) OS/Boot partition on #1 SSD, and separately 12 OSD journals on #2 SSD?

BTW, for better utilization of expensive SSDs, I prefer the first way. Should it be okay?

Question 2.

I have several capacity options for SSDs.

What’s the capacity requirement if there are 6 partitions for 6 OSD journals on a SSD?

If it’s hard to generalize, please provide me with some guidelines.

Thanks,

Peter