waiting for 1 open ops to drain

I am using ceph 0.58 and kernel 3.9-rc2 and btrfs on my osds.

I have an osd that starts up but blocks with the log message 'waiting
for 1 open ops to drain'.

This never happens, and I can't get the osd 'up'.

I need to clear this problem. I have recently had an osd go problematic
and I have recreated a fresh btrfs filesystem on the problem osd drive.
I have also added a completely new osd.

The 'waiting for 1 open ops to drain' problem has occurred before the
cluster has recovered from the earlier surgery and I need to get the
data from this osd.

I have increased the number of copies from 2 to 3 to give me more
resilience in the future, but that has not taken effect yet.

Once I get the cluster back to health, I will mkfs.btrfs and rebuild
this osd and one other that is a legacy from earlier kernel/ceph versions.

How can I tell the osd not to bother with waiting for its open ops to drain?

Thank you in anticipation.

David