cephfs set_layout behaviour

Hi All,

I was running some experiments on my 3-node ceph cluster (mounted at /mnt/ceph), and noticed unexpected behavior regarding cephfs set_layout command.

root@varunc-virtual-machine:/mnt/ceph/folder1# touch test3
root@varunc-virtual-machine:/mnt/ceph/folder1# cephfs test3 set_layout -p 3 -s 41943040
root@varunc-virtual-machine:/mnt/ceph/folder1# cephfs test3 show_layout
layout.data_pool:     3
layout.object_size:   41943040
layout.stripe_unit:   4194304
layout.stripe_count:  1
root@varunc-virtual-machine:/mnt/ceph/folder1# vi test3
root@varunc-virtual-machine:/mnt/ceph/folder1# cephfs test3 show_layout
layout.data_pool:     0
layout.object_size:   4194304
layout.stripe_unit:   4194304
layout.stripe_count:  1

I create an empty file and set its layout (which it displays correctly in the corresponding show_layout). Then, I open the file and write something to it (a single line of text), and again use the show_layout command, and it reverts to the default layout. What is the reason for this? Is it that I can not write to the file simply using vi editor? Because when I do the same process again, but instead use cat command to redirect the input into the new file, the layout set by me persists.

root@varunc-virtual-machine:/mnt/ceph/folder1# touch test4
root@varunc-virtual-machine:/mnt/ceph/folder1# cephfs test4 set_layout -p 3 -s 41943040
root@varunc-virtual-machine:/mnt/ceph/folder1# cephfs test4 show_layout
root@varunc-virtual-machine:/mnt/ceph/folder1# cat file1.txt > test4
root@varunc-virtual-machine:/mnt/ceph/folder1# cephfs test4 show_layout
layout.data_pool:     3
layout.object_size:   41943040
layout.stripe_unit:   4194304
layout.stripe_count:  1

Also, how do I set the layout for an entire directory. I tried the following:
root@varunc-virtual-machine:/mnt/ceph# cephfs folder2/ set_layout -p 3 -s 4194304
Error setting layout: Invalid argument
root@varunc-virtual-machine:/mnt/ceph# cephfs folder1/ set_layout -p 0 -s 4194304
Error setting layout: Invalid argument

(folder1 contains around 1000 files, folder2 is empty)

Thanks,
Varun