From: ceph-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ceph-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Gregory Farnum
Sent: Friday, March 01, 2013 2:13 PM
To: Karsten Becker
Cc: ceph-users@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  Concurrent access to Ceph filesystems

On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 1:53 PM, Karsten Becker <karsten.becker@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to Ceph. I currently find no answer in the official docs for
> the following question.
>
> Can Ceph filesystems be used concurrently by clients, both when
> accessing via RBD and CephFS? Concurrently means in terms of multiple
> clients accessing an writing on the same Ceph volume (like it is
> possible with OCFS2) and extremely, in the same file at the same time.
> Or is Ceph a "plain" distributed filesystem?

CephFS supports this very nicely, though it is of course not yet production ready for most users. RBD provides block device semantics - you can mount it from multiple hosts, but if you aren't using cluster-aware software on top of it you won't like the results (eg, you could run OCFS2 on top of RBD, but running ext4 on top of it will work precisely as well as doing so would with a regular hard drive that you somehow managed to plug into two systems at once).
-Greg