grid data placement take 2

Since nobody's offered any hints on how to get a cluster with no data
out of "HEALTH_WARN 4 pgs incomplete" state I wiped it all out and
rebuilt it from "mkcephfs -a -c /etc/ceph/ceph.conf".

The setup (to recap) is host-a/mon-a/mds-a/osd-0 writes a bunch of data
to cephfs. Once done, host-x/osd-1, host-y/osd-2, and host-z/osd-3 run
several instances of an application (1 per core) that searches through
the data, mmap()'ing it read-only in 2GB chunks. Cehpfs is mounted
read-only on hosts x..z; the beefier one of them also runs mds-b.

In the baseline test (data in /var/tmp on x, y, & z) I had jobs complete
at approx. 125/hour.

In the first test: ceph left to its own devices, everything at defaults,
I got to about 6 jobs/hr before concluding it's not getting any faster &
killing the batch.

In this test I changed the crush map and pool size & min_size for each
pool before putting any data on the cluster: I made sure each host has
equal weight (1) and uniform placement algorithm, and there are 4
replicas of everything.

I had 132 jobs complete in ~15 hours -- so we're getting closer to 10
job/hr, but still nowhere near usable speed.

I suppose I could believe that cephfs in kernel 3.0 is so bad that
  mmap -> cephfs -> osd -> ext4 -> hdd
is an order of magnitude slower than
  mmap -> ext4 -> hdd
on read-only mmap...

Is that what's going on, or am I doing something else wrong? Or is it
the kind of performance I should expect at this stage?

Anyone?
--
Dimitri Maziuk
Programmer/sysadmin