Re: Ceph + rbd + kvm-qemu + libvirt production ready?

On 02/14/2013 04:35 PM, Bram Vandoren wrote:
Hi,
we want to set up storage infrastructure for a few virtual machines
(5-10). Our main concern is high availability (rather than huge
amounts of data or very high performance). We did a few test using
fedora + kvm-qemu (with rbd backend) + ceph + libvirt. So far it works
fine. We didn't found reports on the internet from people using a
similar setup. Most people choose the more common drdb+iscsi/nfs
setup. Is anyone using this kind of configuration in a production
environment and wants to share their experience?

I've been using Ceph for a very long time now on a low I/O cluster and it works just fine.

Most discussions you'll find are with higher performance, but with just 5-10 virtual machines you'll be fine.

It really depends on what you want, but a couple of recommendations:
- Use XFS instead of btrfs (for now)
- Use at least 3x replication
- Use version 0.56.3 and stick with the stables

All the testing is done mostly under Ubuntu 12.04, so you might want to choose that one, but you are ofcourse free to choose.

Most setups with Ceph right now are pretty new, so there's not so much chatter on the internet yet.

Wido

Thanks,
Bram

Wido den Hollander