Re: Cephfs truncating files

Hi Greg,

> On Friday, February 8, 2013 at 6:24 AM, Tobias Prousa wrote:
> > After some more digging and IRC discussion the issue with truncated
> files seems to be related to me having mounted cephfs on multiple clients
> concurrently, which in turn cephfs seems to not handle very well at the moment.
> As soon as there is only on client mounting that ceph filesystem, the
> problem is gone.
> >
> > There is said to be patches around which will improve that situation but
> those haven't even hit repositories, so be patient.
> >
> > Btw. that result is maybe as important as atm. staying away from
> multiple active MDSs, so maybe a little note on docs could help other brave
> testers to not experience the same issues.
> Yikes! This sounds a bit different than the issues I've heard about so
> far. Among other things, unless you have daemon restarts that you aren't
> describing here, this sounds like it's a kernel client bug.
> Can you
> 1) Try using ceph-fuse and see if the problem manifests there?
> If it does,
> 2) Turn on MDS and OSD debugging and reproduce the problem in a new
> directory?

well, I would first have to get a bit used to fuse as I never used it before. If I manage to reproduce it with fuse I'll give you the debugging logs. If I don't manage to reproduce I still wouldn't be 100% sure it's a kernel client issue as I still don't know what detail of my use-case triggers the issue and I would fur sure have to do slight modification the setup a little (client side) to use fuse in the first place. I'll let you know asap.

On the other hand, could all this be caused by me having one x86-kernel client and one amd64-kernel client mounting that cephfs at the same time? On both clients its the same linux-3.7.3 kernel from debian-experimental, just one i686, the other amd64. I believe I read something like that reported by some else, somewhere.

Regards, Tobi