Re: [ceph-users] Help with setting device-class rule on pool without causing data to move

Thanks, Sage! That did the trick.

Wido, seems like an interesting approach but I wasn't brave enough to attempt it!

Eric, I suppose this does the same thing that the crushtool reclassify feature does?

Thank you both for your suggestions.

For posterity:

-  I grabbed some 14.0.1 packages, extracted crushtool and libceph-common.so.1
- Ran 'crushtool -i cm --reclassify --reclassify-root default hdd -o cm_reclassified'
- Compared the maps with:

crushtool -i cm --compare cm_reclassified

That suggested I would get an acceptable amount of data reshuffling which I expected, I didn't use --set-subtree-class as I'd already added SSD drives to the cluster.

My ultimate goal was to migrate the cephfs_metadata pool onto SSD drives while leaving the cephfs_data pool on the HDD drives. The device classes feature made that really trivial, I just created an intermediary rule which would use both HDD and SDD hosts (I didn't have any mixed devices in hosts), set the Metadata pool to use the new rule, waited for recovery and then set the Metadata pool to use an SSD-only rule. Not sure if that intermediary stage was strictly necessary, I was concerned about inactive PGs.

Thanks,
David