Re: enabling device-class crush rule moves all data

> On 12 Apr 2018, at 17:44, Sage Weil <sage@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On Thu, 12 Apr 2018, Dan Van Der Ster wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> We noticed that changing existing pools from being class-agnostic to
>> choose a class (e.g. hdd [1]) then a lot, perhaps all, data will move.
>>
>> I think this is because the crush IDs in the shadow tree are too
>> different, or maybe just a different order, from the original bucket
>> IDs.
>>
>> But I wonder if we could use `ceph osd crush swap-bucket` (or a more
>> elaborate version of swap bucket) to move the shadow buckets into the
>> correct place in the tree, thereby preventing data movement.
>>
>> Did anyone already ponder on this topic?
>
> We could do a one-time transition that swaps the "real" ids with the
> shadow ids for one of the classes, and at the same time change the crush
> rule for the pool.
>
> This will only really work/help if the majority of the devices are one
> class.  That's probably usually the case?

That's indeed our use-case. We have an all-hdd cluster for rgw -- we want to add *add* some ssd osds to each host in the cluster, then use the device class rules to map the bucket_data/index pools accordingly.

Do you expect no data movement if  we use crushtool to decompile, swap the IDs, then recompile and setcrushmap?

-- dan