Re: Luminous Prometheus exporter on Large clusters

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 2:48 PM, Aaron Bassett
<Aaron.Bassett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Morning, List.
> I recently upgraded one of my large (1k osd) clusters from Jewel to Luminous. The upgrade went wonderfully smoothly, and I've now got 3 mgrs running as well.
>
> One of the things I was most looking forward to getting my hands on was the "native" prometheus exportor. I enabled it as per the documentation, and scraped it:
>
> time curl sct-r1-r1-head1:9283 | wc -l
>   % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
>                                  Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
> 100 18.5M  100 18.5M    0     0   424k      0  0:00:44  0:00:44 --:--:--  297k
>   342772
>
> real    0m44.715s
> user    0m0.224s
> sys     0m0.562s

Thanks for testing this, that's a useful datapoint.

In luminous, the prometheus exporter is exporting all the perf
counters -- this is pretty gratuitous.  In master, there is new
filtering code on the OSD side that limits what gets fed up, based on
the priority setting of each perf counter (something like a 10x
decrease in the overall volume of counters that get output).

There are other things that can be made more efficient here, for
example the code is currently fetching the last 10 datapoints for
everything and then throwing away everything but the most recent
one...

John