Re: Investigate busy ceph-msgr worker thread

On Fri, 2020-12-04 at 20:49 +0100, Stefan Kooman wrote:
> On 12/3/20 5:46 PM, Jeff Layton wrote:
> > On Thu, 2020-12-03 at 12:01 +0100, Stefan Kooman wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > We have a cephfs linux kernel (5.4.0-53-generic) workload (rsync) that
> > > seems to be limited by a single ceph-msgr thread (doing close to 100%
> > > cpu). We would like to investigate what this thread is so busy with.
> > > What would be the easiest way to do this? On a related note: what would
> > > be the best way to scale cephfs client performance for a single process
> > > (if at all possible)?
> > >
> > > Thanks for any pointers.
> > >

> > Usually kernel profiling (a'la perf) is the way to go about this. You
> > may want to consider trying more recent kernels and see if they fare any
> > better. With a new enough MDS and kernel, you can try enabling async
> > creates as well, and see whether that helps performance any.
>
> The thread is mostly busy with "build_snap_context":
>

> +   94.39%    94.23%  kworker/4:1-cep  [kernel.kallsyms]  [k]
> build_snap_context
>
> Do I understand correctly if this code is checking for any potential
> snapshots? As grepping through linux cephfs code gives a hit on snap.c
>
> Our cephfs filesystem has been created in Luminous, and upgraded through
> Mimic to Nautilus. We have never enabled snapshot support (ceph fs set
> cephfs allow_new_snaps true). But the filesystem does seem to support it
> (.snap dirs present). The data rsync is processing does contain a lot of
> directories. It might explain the amount of time spent in this code path.
>
> Would this be a plausible explanation?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Stefan

Yes, that sounds plausible. You probably want to stop rsync from
recursing down into .snap/ directories altogether if you have it doing
that.
--
Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx>

[Index of Archives]     [CEPH Users]     [Ceph Large]     [Ceph Dev]     [Information on CEPH]     [Linux BTRFS]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Yosemite News]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux SCSI]