Re: fix for hidden corei7 requirement in binary packages

On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 2:03 PM Alexandre Oliva <oliva@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Aug 19, 2019, kefu chai <tchaikov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > after a second thought, i think, probably, instead of patching SPDK to
> > cater the needs of older machines. a better option is to disable SPDK
> > when building packages for testing and for our official releases.
>
> I have no real clue on what role or impact disabling SPDK plays in the
> grand scheme of things, so I'm happy to defer to whoever does.  I just
> wish to keep my home ceph cluster running on those machines until I have
> good reason to replace them.  Unfortunately that's the last generation
> of x86 hardware that can run with a Free Software BIOS, and OpenPower
> isn't so much of an option for home use.  I hope retaining the ability
> to build ceph so that it runs on such old and wise ;-) machines is not a
> major problem.

not at this moment =)

> getting in the way of ceph's running on 32-bit x86.  If anyone is
> familiar with them and could give me a brain dump to get me started,
> that would certainly be appreciated.  I don't really have 32-bit
> machines running ceph daemons, but I have often recommended ceph to
> people who'd like to run it on SBCs connected to USB storage, so I was
> quite surprised and disappointed to find out even x86 wouldn't work any
> more.  Plus, that messed up my uniform selection of packages on x86 and
> x86-64 machines with a single meta-package with all the dependencies I
> care for ;-)

i'd say it's a little bit off topic. i think we've fixed a bunch of
issues[0] related to armhf. and i managed to build ceph in a chroot
env for building armhf binaries. so i assume that Ceph does (or did)
build on certain 32bit platforms at least. but since we don't test
and/or build on 32bit platforms, this could change over the time. if
you are able to pinpoint an FTBFS issue or bug while using Ceph on 32
bit platforms. i can take a look at it.

---
[0] for instance, https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/25729

--
Regards
Kefu Chai

[Index of Archives]     [CEPH Users]     [Ceph Large]     [Ceph Dev]     [Information on CEPH]     [Linux BTRFS]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Yosemite News]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux SCSI]