Re: luminous ceph_volume_client against a nautilus cluster

Hello Jan,

On Mon, Jun 3, 2019 at 2:26 AM Jan Fajerski <jfajerski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've asked about this in IRC already, but due to timezone foo ceph-devel might
> be more effective.
> I was wondering if there was a plan or expectation of creating cephfs subvolumes
> using a luminous ceph_volume_client on a nautilus cluster (or any other sensible
> version combination)?

I do not think so. We do plan to have Nautilus clusters continue to
function with the old ceph_volume_client.py clients.

> Currently this does not work, due to the volume client using the now removed
> 'ceph mds dump' command. The fix is straight forward, but depending on if that
> should work this could be more complex (essentially making ceph_volume_client
> aware of the version of the ceph cluster).

... so this is a bug. Is there a tracker ticket open for this yet?

> I'm aware of the current refactor of the volume client as a mgr module. Will we
> backport this to luminous?

No.

>Or is there an expectation that the volume client and
> the ceph cluster have to run the same version?

That's what we'd like yes. I think the tricky part is dealing with
applications (like Manila) using an older ceph_volume_client.py. We
could backport a switch in the library so that it uses the new `ceph
fs volume` commands if the cluster is Nautilus+. I'm not sure that is
really needed though.

--
Patrick Donnelly, Ph.D.
He / Him / His