Re: ANNOUNCE: moving the ceph-devel list to ceph.io

On Mon, 3 Jun 2019, Ilya Dryomov wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 3, 2019 at 4:34 PM Sage Weil <sweil@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Why are we doing this?
> >
> > 1 The new list is mailman and managed by the Ceph community, which means
> >   that when people have problems with subscribe, mails being lost, or any
> >   other list-related problems, we can actually do something about it.
> >   Currently we have no real ability to perform any management-related tasks
> >   on the vger list.
> >
> > 2 The vger majordomo software also has some frustrating
> >   features/limitations, the most notable being that it only accepts
> >   plaintext email; anything with MIME or HTML formatting is rejected.  This
> >   confuses many users.
> >
> > 3 The kernel development and general Ceph development have slightly
> >   different modes of collaboration.  Kernel code review is based on email
> >   patches to the list and reviewing via email, which can be noisy and
> >   verbose for those not involved in kernel development.  The Ceph userspace
> >   code is handled via github pull requests, which capture both proposed
> >   changes and code review.
>
> I agree on all three points, although at least my recollection is that
> we have had a lot of bouncing issues with ceph-users and no issues with
> ceph-devel besides the plain text-only policy which some might argue is
> actually a good thing ;)
>
> However it seems that two mailing lists with identical names might
> bring new confusion, particularly when searching through past threads.
> Was a different name considered for the new list?

Sigh... we didn't discuss another name, and the confusion with
searching archives in particular didn't occur to me.  :(  If we're going
to use a different name, now is the time to pick one.

I'm not sure what is better than ceph-devel, though...

Maybe making a new ceph-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and aliasing the old
ceph-devel to either ceph-kernel or the (new) ceph-devel would be the
least confusing end state?

sage