ceph-volume and multi-PV Volume groups

Hi all,
I'd like to request feedback regarding http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/37502. This regards the ceph-volume lvm batch subcommand and its handling of mulit-PV Volume Groups. The details are in the tracker ticket, the gist is that in certain circumstances ceph-volume creates LVM setups where a single bad drive that is used for db/wal can bring down unrelated OSDs (OSDs that have their LVs on completely separate drives) and thus impact a cluster fault tolerance.

I'm aware that one could work around this by creating the LVM setup that I want. I think this is a bad approach though since every deployment tool has to implement its own LVM handling code. Imho the right place for this is exactly ceph-volume.

Jan

--
Jan Fajerski
Engineer Enterprise Storage