Re: What is the purpose of running OSD on LVM logical volume?

On Fri, Apr 5, 2019 at 4:36 AM Aleksei Gutikov
<aleksey.gutikov@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> It seems a little-bit weird,
> while we can format disk with ceph-osd --mkfs,
> and then read labels with ceph-bluestore-tool show-labels.
>
> So is it required to use LVM?

It isn't a requirement.

> Or it gives any advantages that we do not see from our point?

It does! Lets assume that you've manually formatted a disk with
ceph-osd. How do you start the OSD? Something had to create the
SystemD unit. If you start the OSD manually, what happens when you
reboot the system? This is not an LVM thing, but worth mentioning
still!

The way we do things with LVM, allows you to reboot a system while
ceph-volume picks up the devices when they become available, being
able
to tell what devices belong to what OSD.

There are many advantages for using LVM, we initially chose it because
it made the device discovery portion a breeze (unlike dealing with
partitions) and we were
able to store OSD metadata in LVM itself.

If you are manually partitioning a disk and creating the OSD with some
ad-hoc tools, or using the no-longer-available ceph-disk, you can tell
ceph-volume
to inspect the running OSD and create a systemd unit that will ensure
that OSD starts up with every device mounted (and decrypted if
needed).

In short, there is no requriement, you can do things manually, it is
still worth using ceph-volume to help set up the devices for the OSD.
But the recommended
way is with LVM.