why does cephfs have dentry leases at all?

This may, on its face, sound like a stupid question, but I'm going over
the rules to ensure that our cap handling rules will be able to properly
support buffered creates/unlinks.

Dentry leases seem to be really poorly documented. The "rules" for them
are unclear, but also the rationale. What was the supposed benefit of
the dentry leases in ceph over just relying on appropriate caps on the
parent directory?

In principle I suppose it would allow you to continue caching most of
your dentries when only some small subset changes. Was that it or was
there some other reason to add them?

If that was the reason, what was the rationale for making them time-
based (they all have a lease_ttl)?
--
Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>