Re: CephFS client side metadata ops throttling based on quotas

On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 at 09:50, Xiaoxi Chen <superdebuger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I doubt throttling can works.
>
> If your two workloads can stay in separate namespace(i.e not sharing any data), you can easily achieve the isolation by multi-mds +dir_pin.

Hi, thanks for your reply:-)

We are an infrastracture department that offer distributed file system
service to other departments each of which has a lot of different
workloads, some of which maybe bursty while others are not. Each of
those workloads is running on a exclusive directory. And what's more,
even non-bursty workloads maybe occasionally do some "extra things"
which produces lots of metadata requests. It's hard for us to know on
which directory there would be a bursty workload, so it's hard for us
to predict which directory should be pinned to other MDSes.

> If your burst workload and your regular workload are targeting same namespace, then it may cause more lock contention and in general make things worse....e.g "ls -al" which will translate to a readdir and a lot of getattr, and holding the read lock of the dir. If you throttle the getattr which leads the read lock being taken for longer time and blocks those writers.

If client-side throttling is not an option, do you think server-side
metadata op qos is feasible? And is dmclock suitable for implementing
it? Thanks:-)