Re: operating without a ceph.conf

On Thu, Feb 14, 2019 at 10:50 AM Travis Nielsen <tnielsen@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In Rook there are changes in progress to bring the configuration of
> daemons more inline with what Ceph expects. Rook in the past has done
> most everything through the ceph.conf. Now the movement is away from
> ceph.conf, to use command line parameters where possible and mon
> settings for everything else. This is based on the understanding that
> ceph.conf is less preferred going forward. This is based on
> conversations with Sage for the preferred configuration approach.

Oh, OK, so this means that rook will talk to monitors and pass
information around.. I was (wrongly) under the impression
that rook would be a different source of truth *besides* the monitors
- I see now that is not correct.

> As long as needed, Rook will still generate a config file where
> necessary, such as for c-v. The assumption was that c-v could take
> advantage of the config changes that other daemons are going through,
> or at least would move in the same direction.

Right, I see what you mean. I think this is a bit new for ceph-volume
for sure, lagging behind other Ceph CLI tools.