Re: Is it possible to fix corrupted osd superblock?

On Thu, 31 Jan 2019, Sage Weil wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Jan 2019, Yury Z wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > We've experimented with runing OSD's in docker containers. And got the
> > situation when two OSD's started with the same block device. File locks
> > inside mounted osd dir didn't catch that issue because mounted osd dirs
> > where inside containers. So, we got corrupted osd_superblock at osd
> > bluestore drive. And now OSD can't be started.
>
> AHA!  Someone else ran into this and it was a mystery to me how this
> happened.  How did you identify locks as the culprit?  And can you
> describe the situation that led to two competing containers running
> ceph-osd?

I looked into this a bit and I'm not sure competing docker containers
explains the issue.  The bluestore code takes a fcntl lock on the block
device when it opens it before doing anything at all, and I *think*
those should work just fine across the container boundaries.

Any further info you could provide would be great.  Thanks!
sage