Re: Ceph in CentOS Storage SIG

On Wed, 2 Jan 2019, Ken Dreyer wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Our set of packages that we support as "Nautilus on CentOS" is
> growing, and I expect it to grow even more.
>
> In the past, we've been handling each new package as a one-off thing
> within Jenkins Job Builder, and this is hard to understand and scale.
> I'd like to take a new look at how we do this.
>
> The CentOS project provides some infrastructure for us to build and
> maintain a set of packages on top of the base OS (CentOS 7 at the
> moment). CentOS has "SIGs", which are groups of users interested in
> packaging things on top of CentOS, and Ceph is in the "Storage SIG"
> along with Gluster (and potentially other storage technologies).
>
> My high-level vision here: Using CentOS's build and release
> infrastructure would allow us to come up with a "known good" set of
> packages that make up "Nautilus the distribution", which we can QE,
> containerize, and distribute in a straightforward way.

Is the idea to just put all of the Ceph dependencies in the SIG, or to
also include the Ceph releases themselves, or to release the CentOS
packages exclusively via the SIG?

Using the SIG for dependencies seems like an easy one (no real downsides).
Including the Ceph centos package builds/releases in the SIG seems safe
too (it's not giving up anything, and makes life easier for centos users
to get the latest and greatest).  (Would they be independent package
builds, signed by centos instead of ceph upstream in that case?)

Replacing the download.ceph.com repos would be a much bigger step, since
IIRC we maintain repos for each point release to allow careful upgrades
etc.

sage