Re: IRC channels now require registered and identified users

On Tue, 2018-12-18 at 11:34 +0000, Joao Eduardo Luis wrote:
> On 12/18/2018 11:22 AM, Joao Eduardo Luis wrote:
> > On 12/18/2018 11:18 AM, Dan van der Ster wrote:
> > > Hi Joao,
> > >
> > > Has that broken the Slack connection? I can't tell if its broken or
> > > just quiet... last message on #ceph-devel was today at 1:13am.
> >
> > Just quiet, it seems. Just tested it and the bridge is still working.
>
> Okay, turns out the ceph-ircslackbot user is not identified, and that
> makes it unable to send messages to the channel. This means the bridge
> is working in one direction only (irc to slack), and will likely break
> when/if the user leaves the channel (as it won't be able to get back in).
>
> I will figure out just how this works today. In the mean time, I've
> relaxed the requirement for registered/identified users so that the bot
> works again. It will be reactivated once this is addressed.
>
>   -Joao

FWIW, I've had good luck with setting "+s" on some other OFTC IRC
channels. That makes it "secret" which just means that it doesn't show
up in the channel list, making it harder for the bots to find it.

I don't think most actual users will be put off by that since they don't
typically scan the channel list to find channels anyway.
--
Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx>