Re: mgr/dashboard: Branding

Hi Sebastian,

thanks for the summary!

On 12/10/18 8:21 AM, Sebastian Krah wrote:

> Patrick, Kanika and I had a follow up discussion about how to implement
> branding in Ceph Dashboard
>
> Conclusion:
> We decided to create a folder name "vendor" in the ceph-dashboards root
> directory, where we can place all modified templates. The name of the
> modified template must be the same as the name of the original one. This is
> crucial, because we would execute a script during our build process which
> would either replace the original template with the branded one or change
> the path to the modified template inside the TypeScript file. If the vendor
> folder is empty, the script wouldn't do anything.
> The advantage of this approach is that we will be able to avoid merge
> conflicts when the upstream template is changed. A disadvantage is that if a
> component is changed upstream we might forget to add those changes to the
> modified downstream template. This could result in missing new
> functionalities or, even worse, in errors (e.g. when variable names
> changes).
>
> The script could also replace whole components and add or remove logic from
> upstream, if this would be necessary in the future.
>
> I'll continue working on this and add such a script to our building routine.

Quick update about this topic: during today's standup we discussed the
actual implementation and concluded that it would be a better approach
to place the modified templates into their respective directories, using
a special file name extension to mark them. This way, there is no need
to have a mapping/configuration file but would rather use the plain
existence of such a customized file as the trigger for replacing the
original during the UI build process.

Lenz

--
SUSE Linux GmbH - Maxfeldstr. 5 - 90409 Nuernberg (Germany)
GF:Felix Imendörffer,Jane Smithard,Graham Norton,HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)