RGW: Usability improvements for radosgw-admin (help function)

Hi all,

I remember we briefly discussed about it at the Ceph Day in Darmstadt and I
wanted to follow up on this.

Currently there is just a global help text for radosgw-admin. For an operator
it’s quite hard to determine which options is needed to be set for a certain
command.

I opened a feature (and also work on PRs) to add helps text for each command
individually [1]. My main question: is somebody working on the same already?

This would look like:

   > radosgw-admin help user show
  Usage radosgw-admin:user show
  Shows user details

  radosgw-admin user show --uid <UUID>
  mandatory arguments:
     --uid=<id>

Looking at the rgw cli code I have the feeling the arg parsing needs to be
reworked a lot. But to start stepwise I suggest to to the following:

 1.) Implement help texts in the existing CLI code base (covered in [1])
 2.) Start with an API first strategy (so CLI is just a user of the
 radosgw-admin api)
 2.a) Document rgw admin properly (e.g. using swagger)
 2.b) Fix potential gaps between current CLI and API
 3) Implement API radosgw-cli tool (maybe based on python or similar)

Any feedback?

Regards
Marc Koderer
SAP SE